[Xorp-users] Basic querry: PIM TEST SUITE

bhavin81 at iitb.ac.in bhavin81 at iitb.ac.in
Sat May 23 18:31:06 PDT 2009

Hello friends,

       I have got one basic querry. By using xorp we make a pc
 act like a router. Then in the case of multicasting how are we
 going to involve nodes as mentioned in test suite of pim-sm?
Tell me whether following statement is correct or not?If we involve nodes
 then and only then igmp join or prune will be send? If yes then how
can we send igmp join from any node(pc) to xorp router?

What i mean to say is:
   PC1 ----> XORPROUTER1(XORP RUNNING ON PC2)-----> XORPROUTER2(XORP
RUNNING ON PC3)----->XORPROUTER3(XORP RUNNING ON PC4)WHICH may be RP.

  The querry is how pc1 is going to send igmp join message to XORPROUTER1.
Are we going to run Xorp on it and run only up to IGMP i.e. PIM-SM is not
enabled on that interface or Do we need separte mechanism for sending igmp
join messages to XORPROUTER1?

The other querry is :
pim-test suite: Diagram 3.3

Rx1 ---LAN1--------> TR1 ------LAN2----->TR2 ---LAN3--------->
RUT-----LAN4------> S1

In above diagram Rx1 is a receiver and S1 is a sender but how are we
going to configure them to send any data? whether Rx1 is a separte machine
attached to TR1(test router1) via some lan interface?

Regards,
Bhavin,
Comm. Student.