[Xorp-users] Multicast Routing with Multiple xorp routers

CouchSurfer globalcouchsurfer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 10:01:39 PST 2009

I have two xorp routers connected directly by a L2 switch. They are
configured to each have a distinct rendez-vous point RP_224 and RP_225,
relating to different (non-overlapping) sets of multicast groups, say
224.7.7.x and 225.7.7.x. Both configured with IGMPv2 and PIM-SM dr-priority
1.

I have a host H1 which wants to join two groups 224.7.7.y and 225.7.7.y. It
has Router 1 R1 as default gateway.

When R1 is on only, H1 can join group 224.7.7.y and on R1 I can see warning
messages saying
  "JoinDesired RP for 225.7.7.y" not found, as R1 is only configured with
RP_224"
- as expected.

Now, in the case where either I have R2 (with RP_225) is on only OR having
both R1 and R2 running, H1 can join group 225.7.7.y ONLY, and I can see on
R2 a load of warnings
  "RX PIM_HELLO from (ebgp-router-ip for RP_224) to 224.0.0.13 on vif xxx:
source must be directly connected"
  "RX PIM_HELLO from (R1-interface--ip for ebgp-router-ip) to 224.0.0.13 on
vif xxx: source must be directly connected"
and on trying to join, I can see a load of warnings
  "JoinDesired RP for 224.7.7.y" not found, as R1 is only configured with
RP_224"
  "RX IGMP_V2_MEMBERSHIP_REPORT from (R1-interface--ip for ebgp-router-ip)
to 224.0.0.13 on vif xxx: source must be directly connected"
Further more, on switching off R2, H1 then fails to join any multicasts
groups and no more "JoinDesired" warning appears on R1 (as if it just
stopped being a MS router)

It seems that when both routers are running, R2 just take charge of all pim
and igmp messages eventhough it is not configures with those interfaces nor
information about the other RP! this happens whether I configure IGMP with
version 3 or the order in which I start the routers.

Is there a way to configure xorp so that
- R2 does not take charge?
- I can join multicast groups in both sets?
- the two routers perhaps share RP information?

Thanks in advance for your help