[Xorp-users] Multicast testing software

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sun Nov 29 03:54:24 PST 2009

Jaime Nebrera wrote:
>   Hi all,
>
>   We are trying to test the performance of a particular scenario using
> Xorp as multicast router (PIM-SM).
>
>   We would like to endure the router multicast forwarding capabilities
> (not directly related to Xorp but the Linux kernel) and also the
> "management capabilities" (route discovery speed, how many subscribers
> does the router support, delay imposed by the router in the subscribing,
> etc).
>
>   We are looking for software based tools that would allow us to test
> this, if possible free tools :)

Try mcast-tools on Sourceforge. The Linux and FreeBSD multicast
forwarding cache APIs are pretty similar, and the 'mfc' tool will
probably work for you. This lets you install multicast forwarding
entries without running any routing protocols, which is useful for
testing the software forwarding plane.

If you're looking for free protocol verification tools, you are probably
unlikely to find them, given that PIM is quite a complicated protocol,
and a lot of time and effort is involved in writing such tools -- which
is the reason why those vendors are in business.

Of course, if you would like to try writing your own, you might want to
give Packet Construction Set (PCS) a try. I was able to write an IGMPv3
baseline test for it, in Python, without too much difficulty.

cheers,
BMS