[Xorp-users] questions about IPv6 get_link_local_address

David Balnaves david at utopia.cable.nu
Fri Oct 9 03:35:30 PDT 2009

Hi,

Just a quick thanks as I found "default-system-config" addressed my issue
with setting the link-local address.

All the IPv6 implementations(linux, cisco, windows) I've seen sets a
link-local address automatically on the interface when the interface is
brought up.  I think considering this should always be available, having
XORP OSPFv3 probe for the link local address makes sense.  Its also the
behaviour of the "other" OSPFv3 implementation for linux.

I've also noticed that since setting "default-system-config", the IPv6
address assigned to the interface via RA has disappeared.  This may simply
be because linux IPv6 forwarding has been enabled with XORP OSPFv3 becoming
active.  I don't recall this happening when I manually set the link-local
address within XORP(and I dont know how it should deal with this).  From
what I remember, the RFC states that a "router"  (ie: host with ipv6
forwarding enabled) should not use addresses provided by RA.

David Balnaves