[Xorp-users] Two Router Managers crashing simultaneously

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sun Oct 25 08:04:41 PDT 2009

Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
> Is there some known bug in 1.4.1 that can make both router managers
> crash at the same time? Or could it have been sime kind of DOS attack?

As Ben pointed out, without some backtraces, it's difficult to go on.
 From memory, there were a (very few) stability and security fixes
during the 1.4->1.5 XORP releases, so it's quite possible that you ran
into one of the issues which were fixed at that time.

Some general comments:
* One great feature to have around would be an automated tool for
backtrace collection, etc. A patch for this has been on my 'wish list'
for a while.

* Otherwise, it's probably best to make sure you have GDB installed
somewhere to catch analysis from crashed XORP processes. If you can
preserve the core file, you can do this offline from the production
systems themselves. Collection's another matter -- it's a good use of
NFS or even removable flash media.

cheers,
BMS