[Xorp-users] Using Java Native Interference with XORP

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Oct 28 23:17:16 PDT 2009

mahendra nunna wrote:
> hi
>
> I want to modify the xorp. Considering the complexities involved in
> the modification of native XORP code, it was proposed to use Java code
> on top of XORP, Use interfaces and manage the XORP behaviour through
> Java code.
> It could either be done as
> 1. Implementing the Java code and the native XORP code in the same
> process, using Java Native Interface (Faster Processing)
This seems like a bad idea...you'd have to understand Xorp well enough
to bind to it, and then pay all the price of
making JNI work on top of that.
> 2. or having the java code and the native XORP code run in seperate
> process, using Inter Process Communication.
That might work, but probably painful to integrate with XRL since I
don't think there is any automatic
code generation for java.

I'd just copy something relatively simple (maybe rip?) and start hacking
C++ code, but perhaps I'm biased!