[Xorp-users] Who is doing what with Xorp?

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Sep 1 11:24:00 PDT 2009

I thought it might be nice to see a show of hands as to who is actively
using the Xorp
SVN tree (or who might start doing so shortly).

Please describe what you are doing and to what extent.

I'll go first:

We use xorp, with our virtualization patches, to provide virtual router
emulation in Linux.
We have a tool that configures xorp instances automatically and runs
multiple instances of
xorp on a single Linux OS.  Each xorp has it's own routing table and own
set of interfaces
it pays attention to.

We use OSPF (IPv4, v6), multicast (IPv4 only currently), BGP, RIP, and OLSR.

We can easily do regression tests with dynamic networks (links come and
go, link connections
degrade (pkt loss, latency, etc).  We use the 'veth' device in Linux to
connect xorp instances,
and some of our own proprietary network emulation logic for the impairments.

We do not use Xorp on any platform besides Linux.