[Xorp-users] Error:XrlRouter Failed.No Finder?while running ./xorp_rtrmgr

J.T. Conklin jtc at acorntoolworks.com
Wed Sep 2 10:21:09 PDT 2009

naresh raga <naresh_raga at yahoo.co.in> writes:
> Sorry Bruce,if I am really troubling you.I am so particular about
> this because it is my current project target set by my professor.I
> will give the TS7300 kit details on which I am working.
>
> 200MHz ARM9 CPU
> PC/104 expansion bus
> 32MB SDRAM
> 2 10/100 ethernet ports
> 1 VGA out w/ 8MB RAM 800x600
> Debian Linux is default on SD Card
> Linux-based Bootloader available
>
> I have also read on some mailing list that this error usually
> happens when the cpu is overloaded.Is that 32MB SDRAM is
> insufficient to run xorp ?What are the minimum requirements of
> hardware to run xorp?Is that the error happens in my case is really
> because of insufficient processing power or memory requirments?
>
> My apologies if I have troubled you.

Hi Naresh,

There have been improvements to the XORP static footprint that are in
the current SVN repo.  There is also the ability to build with shared
libraries.  The combination may make it possible to run, albeit with a
very small routing table, on target like yours.

XORP's exensible, modular architecture does make it difficult to scale
downwards. One thing I've been thinking about is colocating everything
in a single process, which would allow us to factor out the IPC.

I can't say for certain whether the problems you're experiencing are
related to processing power or memory requirements.  If I was in your
position, I'd look to ensure that the unit tests, especially the XRL
tests, function correctly on your target. Beyond that, I'd be looking
with tcpdump to capture the I/O between XORP the processes and using
a debugger (or inline debug output) to capture the interaction.  There
may be timeouts that just need to be tweaked.

If you do find something interesting, please share it with the rest of
the community.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin