[Xorp-users] running xorp_rtrmgr

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Sep 7 09:25:28 PDT 2009

victor omwando wrote:
> Another thing, still keeping with the -d and -b options, I find that I
> can't use both at the same time ie if I use -d first, the xorp_Rtrmgr
> process will be daemonized,but it wil ltry and open
> /usr/lib/xorp/boot.config, regardless of which config file I specify
> using the -b option. When -b <configfile> comes first, the process
> does not daemonize. Also, is there a gatekeeping system in place for
> the SVN repos? Thanks.

At the moment, only JT Conklin and I have commit access to the public
SVN. We'd like to open it up to contributors, and docs/ would be an
excellent starting point, as these changes are usually much easier to
review and push in than for the source code itself (the xorp/ module on
trunk).

To update the PDF documentation, you'll need to check out the docs/
module in the repository, and update the LaTeX source files.

The docs/ themselves are now also built with SCons, and you'll need a
full TeTeX or similar toolchain installed; usually, installing Kile (the
KDE LaTeX editor) is enough to pull in all the tools you'll need on most
systems.

Thanks for pointing out that the -b switch apparently can't co-exist
with -d. I don't see the "boot.config" filename referenced anywhere in
the source tree, perhaps you mean "config.boot" ?

Reading the main_rtrmgr.cc file,  the processing of the 'd' switch
happens in the same switch() block as for the 'b' switch; I don't see
any code which could obviously clobber the value of 'boot_file' in main().

Are you specifying an absolute path to the configuration when you use
the 'd' switch? The call to daemonize the Router Manager does not change
to the root directory, unlike most daemons, so relative paths should
still work.

Can you confirm that you are seeing the issue with the latest SVN code?
If so, please submit a bug report via Trac on SourceForge, and fill out
which OS/distribution/architecture you are using, and I'll try to
reproduce this when I can:-
    https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/xorp/

You will need a SourceForge account to submit bug reports, or
participate in development in XORP SVN.

thanks,
BMS