[Xorp-users] Problem with scons build in xorp 1.7-WIP

J.T. Conklin jtc at acorntoolworks.com
Wed Sep 16 10:24:15 PDT 2009

naresh raga <naresh_raga at yahoo.co.in> writes:
> I have successfully build xorp1.7-WIP on my ubuntu 9.04 x86
> machine.I am facing one more problem.
>
> [...]

> But the xorp_rtrmgr is searching for targets in xrl folder in the
> top directory of xorp.Actually this would be the case with previous
> versions.I think now all the executables are in the obj folder.Even
> now I am running xorp_rtrmgr executable from
> obj/i686-linux-public17/rtrmgr/.  Conklin please adjust the path
> that xorp_rtrmgr is searching for.

Hi Naresh,

I think Bruce is correct in assuming that you're trying to run the
executables in the build/object directory instead of an install tree.

While I think you can make this work by following Bruce's advice, I'll
recommend that you "install" XORP and use it from the install
location.  By default, the install location is /usr/local/xorp.  You
may already know this, but this can be overriden by specifying
"prefix=/foo/bar/quux" on the command line when you invoke scons.

In the past, it was possible to run XORP in-situ in the build
directory.  IMO, this introduced compromises in both the source and
install filesystem hierarchy.  For example, in the source tree, the
XRL target and interface files, router manager templates, etc. for all
protocol modules are coupled together in common directories.  And in
the install tree, the directory layout is forced to mirror the source
tree, instead of using a more standard layout with bin, sbin, lib,
etc, subdirectories described in BSD hier(7) or the GNU standards.

Over time, we have the ability to address these sorts of issues, at
the expense of running in-situ.  So even if it's currently possible to
run in the build/object tree, I would recommend getting into the habit
of installing and running from there.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin