[Xorp-users] Looking for XORP performance metrics

Chris Gibson gibsonc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 13:58:27 PDT 2009

Hello xorp-users,

I have been looking for performance and scalability metrics for XORP.
I'm specifically interested in the performance and scalability numbers
for the xorp_bgp implementation.

This periodically appears to come up on various xorp-* mailing lists,
yet I cannot seem to find any solid, good quality research. The best
thing I have really found up to now has been Hasso's 2006 work and
subsequent paper, which I assume is now sufficiently outdated to not
be of any immediate relevance.

To give you an idea of the sort of data that I am searching for:

* Scalability numbers for xorp_bgp:
- e.g. number of routes, number of peers, routes per peer, memory
usage, cpu utilization, convergence times, what hardware the tests
were run on, etc.

* How the rest of XORP performs:
- e.g. performance of policy engine, cli memory/cpu usage under
multi-user load, IPC overhead, fea vs number of interfaces, etc.

Does anyone know where I could find this data or have their own data
that they would like to share?

If you don't have any data to share, but are yourself interested in
possibly seeing the results of new xorp scalability and performance
research: What tests would you run? Where do think the performance
will shine, and where will the performance suck? What would you test?
What hardware would you use?

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris.