[Xorp-users] Looking for XORP performance metrics

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Sep 17 05:39:10 PDT 2009

Hi Chris,

Chris Gibson wrote:
> I have been looking for performance and scalability metrics for XORP.
> I'm specifically interested in the performance and scalability numbers
> for the xorp_bgp implementation.
>
> This periodically appears to come up on various xorp-* mailing lists,
> yet I cannot seem to find any solid, good quality research. The best
> thing I have really found up to now has been Hasso's 2006 work and
> subsequent paper, which I assume is now sufficiently outdated to not
> be of any immediate relevance.

The XORP BGP implementation hasn't fundamentally changed, at least in
terms of design, since Hasso's work.

There have been some performance related improvements in the area,
however I'm not really in a position to give a summary of that right now
-- best check SVN history, now that it's re-opened.

I understand Mark Handley has a lot of BGP code changes queued up.

It is known that the BGP-RIB-FEA path is a bottleneck. One of the things
I'm looking at right now is how the RPC layer, XRL, can be optimized
further to reduce this bottleneck.

In the corporate branch, a batch route update optimization was
committed; that should help. A similar patch exists for an older version
of the community branch:
    http://imunes.net/perf-rib-fea-diff3

thanks,
BMS