[Xorp-users] Problem with scons build in xorp 1.7-WIP

J.T. Conklin jtc at acorntoolworks.com
Thu Sep 17 09:23:09 PDT 2009

Hi Naresh,

naresh raga <naresh_raga at yahoo.co.in> writes:
> Hi Bruce and Conklin,

Please call me J.T.  Everyone else does :-)

> Actually I have tried building scons using
> prefix=/home/student/xorp.But nothing is getting installed into that
> folder which is supposed to be the install path.I have also tried to
> build without prefix using the default install path
> /usr/local/xorp.Even then nothing is getting installed into
> /usr/local/xorp.What could be the issue?

The issue is that we haven't updated the build / install instructions
to reflect the SCons build. Unfortunately, you have been running into
problems because of that oversight.  What you need to do is a second
scons invocation telling it to perform the install.

For example, if you build with:

   scons CC=arm-linux-gcc CXX=arm-linux-g++ prefix=/opt/xorp

You need to install with:

   scons CC=arm-linux-gcc CXX=arm-linux-g++ prefix=/opt/xorp install

Actually, in many cases, you can skip the separate build step and just
do a "scons ... install".

Again I'm sorry you've had to run into these problems.  At least there
is some good that will come out of this.  We'll be able to fix up the
instructions before the next release candidate.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin