[Xorp-users] HAVE_IPV6_MULTICAST never defined in XORP-1.7 on LINUX

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Sep 24 15:25:17 PDT 2009

XORP at sipxx.com wrote:
> One linux was Fedora 7, another RHEL5.
> However, this is actually not just a Linux problem, I don't see how it
> can work on FreeBSD even, the necessary test just doesn't exist at all.
> Unfortunately, I can't even compile the 1.7 version on FreeBSD 7 to test
> it, there are other hard compile failures in FEA which don't happen on
> Linux, and they don't happen in 1.6.

That sounds pretty serious, I'm sorry to hear that. Can you provide full
detail(s) of the errors you are seeing? I am actively hacking on the
code base on FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE right now, and do not see any compile
failures with SVN trunk with a fresh compile.

We no longer have tinderbox coverage for the community branch, so we do
depend on volunteers reporting tree breakage; however we really need
full details of such breakage to be able to help out.

If you look at site_scons/config/allconfig.py, around line 406, you can
see where HAVE_IPV4_MULTICAST is defined by the SCons configuration
tests. I haven't tested with Ubuntu or Fedora in a few weeks.

The tests for HAVE_IPV4_MULTICAST all run successfully on my system. The
tests are quite simple, they just check for the relevant headers and
declarations (IP_MULTICAST_IF, IP_MULTICAST_TTL, IP_MULTICAST_LOOP,
IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP, IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP). If all of these are present,
then HAVE_IPV4_MULTICAST will be defined.

Can you please provide your config.log and xorp_config.h file, uname -a
output, so we can try to help you better?

Is there anything special or different about your machine from a base
FreeBSD install (have you modified any kernel headers, is this a fresh
copy of FreeBSD, source installed, did you use buildworld/installworld
etc) ?

best regards,
BMS