[Xorp-users] HAVE_IPV6_MULTICAST never defined in XORP-1.7 on LINUX

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri Sep 25 11:13:58 PDT 2009

XORP at sipxx.com wrote:
> I had unresolved references into xuid.cc

Good catch, checked in and uncommented -- the FEA socket manager is
using it.

> The build system also orders the link libraries incorrectly, the path to
> /usr/local/lib (for example, among others) is searched first for
> libraries (-L), rather than the product specific directories under obj.

I would consider this a teething problem with SCons and should be looked
at before 1.7-RC is cut; the current scheme is not desirable (/opt/sfw
doesn't exist in a number of places, for example).

There are a number of link line items which could do with being pushed
down to individual areas of the tree. Even with Autotools, we've tended
to skip this, as just having the library in the ld.so depends is  cheap
even if none of the functions get called (and thus no PLT entries
resolved at runtime).

One of the things that isn't in, for example, is using the linker
$ORIGIN facility, although SCons has hooks for dealing with this. For
example, it's not always possible to run binaries directly w/o
installing them or setting LD_RUN_PATH/LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the environment.

I've made a lot of progress on Thrift this week, and it looks like we
can cut over to it from XRL without mass refactoring of the protocols,
so I'll try to look at the HAVE_IPV6_MULTICAST issue next week, if Ben
has a crack first, even better.

cheers,
BMS