[Xorp-users] BUG: 1.7 build system has builddir feature but creates files in source tree, build with read-only source tree fails

J.T. Conklin jtc at acorntoolworks.com
Tue Sep 29 06:58:48 PDT 2009

jtc at acorntoolworks.com (J.T. Conklin) writes:
> "XORP at sipxx.com" <karl at sipxx.com> writes:
>> The XORP-1.7 build system has a feature to use an alternate build
>> directory (builddir option), while this indeed relocates the creation
>> of object files and build targets, scons still creates build specific
>> files in the source tree. If the source tree is read-only for the
>> compiling user, the build fails.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I think the only thing that is currently written in the source
> directory is the .sconsign.dblite file.  Scons has a SConsignFile()
> directive.  I'll investigate whether it can be used with a command
> line argument to override the default, similar to what is done for
> the build directory.

I commited a change that uses SConsignFile() to put .sconsign.dblite
in the build directory.  There didn't seem to be any benefit to make
it so it's location could be set separately.

I tested it with a read only workspace (I did a chmod -R a-w), which
worked as hoped.

This change will require a full build once workspaces are updated.
This might be avoided by moving any existing .sconsign.dblite file
from the source directory to the build directory.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin