[Xorp-users] RFC: Explicitly note that new code contributions are copy-righted by the submitter.

Mark Handley M.Handley at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Sun Apr 25 12:27:32 PDT 2010

On 25 April 2010 16:33, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> On 04/25/2010 01:50 AM, Mark Handley wrote:
>>
>> The LICENCE file does need to change, or it could be viewed as
>> granting copyright to XORP, Inc, which is not the intent.  I'm fine
>> with your wording.  It seems reasonably unambiguous.
>>
>> In addition to amending the licence, we should amend the copyright
>> line on any file we update to be:
>> // Copyright (c) 2001-2009 XORP, Inc and (c) 2010 by individual
>> contributors.
>>
>> This makes it clear that XORP, Inc does not own the copyright on new
>> changes on that specific file.
>
> Would it be fair to just change ALL copyright headers to have the wording
> as you suggest above, or just files we touch as we touch them in a
> non-trivial
> manner?

I think we need to do it on a case by case basis, tedious though that
is.  Changing it on files we have made no additional contribution to
seems to misrepresent the actual copyright situation.

Note that there is no issue if we forget to do this - copyright still
exists, event if you don't put a copyright notice on something.  The
copyright notice can always be fixed later.

 - Mark