[Xorp-users] "Reloading" config

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Aug 16 08:21:11 PDT 2010

On 08/16/2010 07:33 AM, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> AFAIK there is no option from outside xorpsh to write out a XORP config
> file and read it into a running XORP instance.
>
> However, if I write out a XORP config file and then use something like
> Expect to enter xorpsh and run the "load" command, followed by "commit",
> will this effectively perform such a "reload"?

One thing we noticed is that we needed to commit after un-loading old stuff,
and again after loading the new stuff.  Xorp.ct makes commit much faster,
but it's still around 1 second for big changes on moderate machines.

Some of those limitations may be removed in xorp.ct, but I haven't
tried removing my intermediate 'commit' logic from my scripts.

In xorp 1.6 and such, you are unlikely to have much luck with this
as removing config often ran into assertions in FEA and the protocols.

> What limitations might I run into? For instance, if the configuration I
> am replacing the running configuration with is fairly different in terms
> of either running protocols, parameters to those protocols, or both?

Technically, I think it should handle anything you throw at it..and I'm
interested in bug reports and/or patches if you find anything that breaks
(in xorp.ct).