[Xorp-users] Some recent xorp.ct improvements.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Aug 16 19:06:21 PDT 2010

Today I finished up some xorp.ct bugs I've been meaning to fix for a while.

With these in, I'm planning to do some testing and if all goes well, put
out an official point release (probably 1.8.3).

Here's my list of notable changes/fixes since the 1.8 release:

    *  Add more options for disabling compile of certain modules.
       See:  scons --help

    *  Add support for IPv6 multicast with virtual routing tables.
        Requires Linux kernel 2.6.35 or higher.

    *  Support compiling with clang + llvm compiler:
       Install latest clang and llvm from their SVN repositories and:
       scons CC=clang CXX=clang++

    *  Add some changes to make it easier to support uSTL, but it does not
       actually work as uSTL had too many limitations and bugs, and didn't seem
       to gain much space improvements anyway.
       See BUILD_NOTES for more info.

    *  Support cross-compiling.  See BUILD_NOTES.

    *  BSD:  Don't crash FEA when interface disappears.

    *  BSD:  Don't fail commit if cannot remove route that doesn't exist.

    *  Add signal handling for more graceful exit.  Helps clean up /var/tmp/xrl.*
       files and lets valgrind report more useful information.

    *  timers:  Fix memory leak related to the Heap class.

    *  BGP:  Fix up tear-down logic to make sure it exits promptly in
       all cases.

    *  pim: Fix a recursive delete issue in pim code, exposed by the ability to
       gracefully shut down processes with SIGTERM.

    *  rtrmgr:  Allow starting helper processes under valgrind.  Just
       create a file called XORP_USE_VALGRIND in the working directory.
       If you want xorp_rtrmgr to use valgrind, you have to start it under
       valgrind manually.

For those of you that are able, please test out the xorp.ct top of tree and report
any problems (and successes) you might find.