[Xorp-users] BGP router is not receiving BGP routes

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri Aug 20 15:33:11 PDT 2010

On 08/20/2010 03:25 PM, Edwin Schokkenbroek wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2010, at 8:36 PM, Aleksandar Cvjetic wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On R4 try to configure a policy matching protocol OSPF routes and apply it as export BGP policy (as you did for static routes on R13).  I think that Cisco logic doesn't work here, at least you don't have an option for "network" statement to advertise routes into BGP.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out. And Well Cisco logic, doesn't work indeed. After fighting with bgp and policies for a day and a long night, I got it working. I'm quite surprised to find out that only a policy which says: from protocol ospf ,for example isn't going to work. A network statement is required, which tells what prefix needs to be announced.  In Junos I would do something like: set term 1 from protocol static ; set term 1 then accept. And 'm done (basically).  Now that I begin to understand how it works with Xorp, it provides a very clean way to have full control over what prefix is to be announced by bgp.

By the way, there were complaints from years ago that xorp bgp has performance issues when
synchronizing with large route databases (I think the users were connecting to the full internet
BGP routing table, or something like that).

I was never able to set up a test to try to debug/optimize this, so if you
are able to set up such a thing, I'm interested in knowing the results.