[Xorp-users] BGP router is not receiving BGP routes

Edwin Schokkenbroek edwin at spacebugs.nl
Fri Aug 20 16:01:52 PDT 2010

On Aug 21, 2010, at 12:33 AM, Ben Greear wrote:

> On 08/20/2010 03:25 PM, Edwin Schokkenbroek wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 19, 2010, at 8:36 PM, Aleksandar Cvjetic wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> On R4 try to configure a policy matching protocol OSPF routes and apply it as export BGP policy (as you did for static routes on R13).  I think that Cisco logic doesn't work here, at least you don't have an option for "network" statement to advertise routes into BGP.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing this out. And Well Cisco logic, doesn't work indeed. After fighting with bgp and policies for a day and a long night, I got it working. I'm quite surprised to find out that only a policy which says: from protocol ospf ,for example isn't going to work. A network statement is required, which tells what prefix needs to be announced.  In Junos I would do something like: set term 1 from protocol static ; set term 1 then accept. And 'm done (basically).  Now that I begin to understand how it works with Xorp, it provides a very clean way to have full control over what prefix is to be announced by bgp.
>
> By the way, there were complaints from years ago that xorp bgp has performance issues when
> synchronizing with large route databases (I think the users were connecting to the full internet
> BGP routing table, or something like that).
>
> I was never able to set up a test to try to debug/optimize this, so if you
> are able to set up such a thing, I'm interested in knowing the results.

Should not be a problem. Right now I'm running multiple Xorp instances in jails, which reside in a virtual machine :

   JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path
     1  -               local                         /
     2  -               R4                            /
     3  -               R10                           /
     4  -               R5                            /
     5  -               R6                            /
     6  -               R13                           /
     7  -               R15                           /
     8  -               R9                            /
     9  -               R11                           /
    10  -               R12                           /
    11  -               R1                            /
    12  -               R2                            /
    13  -               R3                            /
    14  -               R14                           /

I have a smal amount of prefixes, but  with 15 jails running Xorp the machine load and memory usage is not high:

last pid: 13948;  load averages:  0.01,  0.02,  0.00    up 1+01:36:46  00:54:49
118 processes: 1 running, 117 sleeping
CPU:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.4% system,  0.0% interrupt, 99.6% idle
Mem: 288M Active, 56M Inact, 136M Wired, 111M Buf, 499M Free
Swap: 256M Total, 256M Free

When dealing with full routing tables ... I can image that a couple of these instances can effect performance. What is the best test to do ?
Testing in a virtual machine, or testing it on real hardware (or both)? Memory will become a serious issue when loading full BGP routing table(s).

Edwin