[Xorp-users] SNMP & xorp 1.8.2-CT

Mike Weaver weaver at ascr.doe.gov
Sun Aug 22 06:23:50 PDT 2010

I'm much more versed in Linux than BSD anyway, just curious.  We're a
research organization and trying to scale back both our network
infrastructure as well as the use of commercial/proprietary products.
We're currently running a Cisco 7206 VXR router, multiple IDS systems
(commercial & research) and Websense for content monitoring/blocking.

Our lead read about Vyatta providing similar/better performance than
Cisco without the hardware & maintenance costs, while also providing
firewall (iptables) and content filtering (squidGuard) support.
Unfortunately, Quagga doesn't support multicast and I don't have time
to see if I make it work with things like pimd.

Anyway, xorp looked like a good choice to evaluate and we're generally
pretty impressed.  When we discuss my evaluation results, we may end
up deciding to go with another box or 2 behind the router to handle
firewalling & content filtering.  It would have been nice to get it
all in one box from a complexity & cost standpoint (we're a small
organization w/ limited resources).

Anyway, thanks for all your work on xorp-CT and your quick assistance
to my inquiries!

Mike

--
Mike Weaver
Office of Advanced Scientific Computing Research