[Xorp-users] Problems with PIM-SSM

Daniel Camara danielcamara at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 02:50:30 PDT 2010

Hi  S. K. Jo,

 In fact the routes, for the real machines, are defined. Machine1 has a
route to saying that all nodes for the network 192.168.14.0 should go
through the interface eth2, that is directly connected to machine2. By its
turn, machine1 is the default router for machine2. But you are right I
didn't add them in the xorp configuration.  However, I just did that and it
didn't work. The result is the same.

What is bothering me is that when I start a multicast traffic in the
machine1, not even the xorp in that machine perceives the traffic or even
acknowledges the request from the client. When I start in machine 2, the
data does not arrive to the client but at least machine1 it perceives that
there is a traffic coming from the machine2 and a request from a client at
machine2.

One thing that I found odd is that when I ask to see the pim routing
information it shows the next routing to be the same node in machine1 and in
machine2 it shows the next hop to be machine1, what I think should be the
right thing to be.

root at machine1>  show pim mrib
DestPrefix         NextHopRouter   VifName VifIndex MetricPref Metric
192.168.14.0/24    192.168.14.1    eth2    0                 0      0

// I added in the machine1 config

protocols {
   static {
       route 192.168.14.0/24 {
          next-hop: 192.168.14.53
        }

        mrib-route 192.168.14.0/24 {
           next-hop: 192.168.14.53
         }
   }
}

// added to machine2 config
protocols {
   static {
       route 0.0.0.0/0 {
          next-hop: 192.168.14.1
        }

        mrib-route 192.168.14.0/24 {
           next-hop: 192.168.14.1
         }
   }
}

A ND, thanks for the document it helped a lot :).

  Best regards...

        Daniel