[Xorp-users] Simple multicast configuration

Matthew Edwards betawolf33 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 10:54:48 PST 2010

Hi all,

I'm working on a project involving multicast, and we are attempting to first of
all get a very simple setup working.

We are attempting to connect three machines together - two of them connected via
ethernet to the third. We are running Xorp on all three machines, configured to
use a PIM-SM with a static RP - the central machine.

We are then testing the configuration by running a multicast application - RAT -
on all three machines.

We have had success with this configuration at one point, but we were unable to
replicate it immediately afterwards - we closed down Xorp and RAT on all three
machines, started all six processes back up, and the traffic was no longer
picked up on all machines. Two machines (one the central machine) picked each
other up, but the third was not recognised.

I'm willing to provide configuration files and provide other details if
necessary, but can anyone suggest something that we might have overlooked, or
point us at any area in particular we should be looking at?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew Edwards