[Xorp-users] PIM SM and VLAN

Chicho Mancho chicho.mancho at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 06:16:31 PST 2010

Hi there,

I'm new to XORP and I'm trying to run PIM SM, but using a VLAN vif for
connection to the pim neighbor.
I did a few experiments and found that when I configure a vlan vif it is
not possible for xorpsh to commit - some problem with MFEA.

Then I read the manual more thoroughly and find that I have to define
FEA and MFEA. I did so and noticed that the problem appears even before
make a PIM configuration.

The test set-up is very simple:
ubuntu linux PC with XORP --- Router

First the working configuration:

    root at MyPC# show
    protocols {
        pimsm4 {
            interface eth0 {
                vif eth0 {
                }
            }
        }
    }
    fea {
        unicast-forwarding4 {
        }
    }
    interfaces {
        interface eth0 {
            vif eth0 {
                address 10.10.10.254 {
                    prefix-length: 24
                }
            }
        }
    }
    plumbing {
        mfea4 {
            interface eth0 {
                vif eth0 {
                }
            }
        }
    }

[edit]

This configuration is working the protocol goes up. PIM neighbor says
the same thing - UP.

Then I made a configuration without configuring PIM, but with VLAN vif:

root at MyPC# show
    fea {
        unicast-forwarding4 {
        }
    }
    interfaces {
        interface eth0 {
            vif eth0 {
                address 10.10.10.254 {
                    prefix-length: 24
                }
            }
            vif vlan456 {
                vlan {
                    vlan-id: 456
                }
                address 192.168.168.254 {
                    prefix-length: 24
                }
            }
        }
    }
>   plumbing {
>       mfea4 {
>       }
>   }

xorp did not commit!

When I make the configuration without vif vlan456 there is no problem -
xorp commits.

When I make the same configuration but without "plumbing" there is no
problem- xorp commits and I have ping to VLAN interface on the other
end:

    interfaces {
        interface eth0 {
            vif eth0 {
                address 10.10.10.254 {
                    prefix-length: 24
                }
            }
            vif vlan456 {
                vlan {
                    vlan-id: 456
                }
                address 192.168.168.254 {
                    prefix-length: 24
                }
            }
        }
    }

I need a hand to deal with the problem.

If you don't get a clear picture, please write to me for additional
information.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Adrian