[Xorp-users] stand alone pim and igmp from xorp

saurabh saurabh.pandya at elitecore.com
Tue Feb 9 01:42:22 PST 2010

I want to use qungga for multicasting as it is very small
Foot-print software as compare to giant size xorp.

I wish to use only PIM and IGMP from xorp, as it is not
Supported in Qungga.

I have following two queries after tried with live CD,

1) Is it possible to only compile PIM and IGMP among the
   Xorp and then use them as standalone daemons?

   (As I tried to compiled xorp on fedora.. I saw it generated
    Very large binaries.. for ex. Xorp_pimv4 size I saw it 2.4 MB
    After strip it down !!.. and all other binaries are even too big)

2) Regarding multicast test setup:  {Below is my setup and results, pls
   Tell me it is right enough to conclude my pim igmp working?}

    I have configured two xorp routers (live CDs), on Say R1 and R2

    Now both R1 and R2 have two eth interfaces...

          Device      Interface                Address
             R1       le0                      11.11.11.2
                      le1                      192.180.13.1

             R2       le0                      11.11.11.1
                      le1                       9.9.9.1

         Now R1 router have its own subnet on le1 , have two nodes N1 and N2
         All nodes have only one eth interface (Nodes are windows xp nodes)

             N1       eth0                      192.180.13.25
                                      (Gate way)192.180.13.1

             N2       eth0                      192.180.13.30
                                      (Gate way)192.180.13.1

         And R2 router have its own subnet on its le1 interface , it have
         one node N3, it is also win-xp node with one eth interface as below

	      N3       eth0                      9.9.9.111
                                      (Gate way)9.9.9.1

        And I have configured IGMP and PIM for testing of multicast. I am
        trying to test multicast using VLC player, i.e. generating video
        stream from N3 and muticasting them on 239.0.0.51 address, and
        trying to view it on N1 and N2. I can see the stream on N1 and N2

   Is my setup for testing IGMP and PIM is sufficient?

Please share your ideas hints....

Thanks,
Saurabh