[Xorp-users] stand alone pim and igmp from xorp

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed Feb 10 07:11:18 PST 2010

On 02/09/10 09:42, saurabh wrote:
> I want to use qungga for multicasting as it is very small
> Foot-print software as compare to giant size xorp.

Not true, XORP is 22MB of binary for a full feature set on 64-bit x86,
if you build the SVN version with shared library support and stripped
binaries.

These are the defaults for the FreeBSD package.

We need a volunteer to package XORP for Ubuntu/Fedora/CentOS.

> I wish to use only PIM and IGMP from xorp, as it is not
> Supported in Qungga.

We don't support this use. It is technically possible, but it's not
something that we support or encourage, as we are unable to help with
Quagga issues in this forum.

> I have following two queries after tried with live CD,
>
> 1) Is it possible to only compile PIM and IGMP among the
>     Xorp and then use them as standalone daemons?

Sure, if you hack the SConscripts to only build the required components.

>     (As I tried to compiled xorp on fedora.. I saw it generated
>      Very large binaries.. for ex. Xorp_pimv4 size I saw it 2.4 MB
>      After strip it down !!.. and all other binaries are even too big)

Are you building with shared library support?