[Xorp-users] [XORP] XORP BUG: reinterpret_cast issue in Big Endian (PPC Architecture)

Mohd Arif mohd.arif at nechclst.in
Thu Feb 4 21:27:02 PST 2010

Dear All,
I have successfully built the package for PPC architecture.
On running the PPC compiled package on board, There is a severe effect
on PIM-SM functionality.

Issue
====
a) When I configure a router as static RP in my router card with any
priority value say 100 or default (192), the command "show pim rps"   is
always showing priority as zero for that static RP irrespective of value
specified through xorpsh.
b) The same problem is occurring in case of Candidate-BSR priority &
Candidate-RP priority & holdtime. Bootstrap message is showing priority
as zero & Cand-RP Adv message showing RP priority & hold time as zero.

Reason of Issue
============
When I searched through the code, I found that at a place there was a
conversion going from uint32_t to uint8_t (reinterpret operator) for all
above mentioned values.
 I applied debug message before & after this conversion and found that
this conversion was returning 0 all the time..... However this problem
didn't occurred when I tested XORP on PC.
The problem is the difference in Endianness of Intel PC and PPC
Architecture. Intel PC is little endian whereas PPC is big endian.
For proper understanding I am attaching an image, clearly specifying
this problem.

My whole project has got stuck so please help me out.....Any help is
appreciable.

Best Regards,
Mohd. Arif

DISCLAIMER:
intended
for the named recipient(s) only.
It shall not attach any liability on the originator or NECHCL or its
this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the
opinions of NECHCL or its affiliates.
distribution and / or publication of
this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. .