[Xorp-users] Altering config on the fly

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Feb 22 09:41:09 PST 2010

On 02/21/2010 11:07 PM, Martin Djernæs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking quite a bit on how to make xorp version 1.6 "do what
> I need to do", but one of the things I need to accommodate is the
> ability to have tunnel interfaces "come and go" while in action.
>
> This means that when xorp starts up I can not provide the complete
> config and/or the underlying interfaces won't exist when it is
> started.
>
> Are there any tool to push interface configuration for PIM-SM into a
> running xorp?

I put a lot of fixes into my xorp tree to address these issues.

You can add/delete interfaces via xorpsh, and my xorp also handles
interfaces disappearing out from under it better.  Likely some
issues still exist, so bug reports are welcome:

http://www.candelatech.com/oss/xorp-ct.html

> On a side note I've noticed that if I start up an xorp instance with a
> configuration "mirroring" the actual config on my system (Linux) it
> will remove the addresses and add them again to the interface (causing
> existing static routes to be removed) .. 'default-system-config' seems
> to avoid this, but it still is a problem as there the issue with vlans
> ... is there a way to prevent this "del/add" action by xorp?

Not so sure about this one...