[Xorp-users] Altering config on the fly

Martin Djernæs mdjernaes at pulz8.com
Mon Feb 22 23:43:30 PST 2010

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your response to my inquiry.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> On 02/21/2010 11:07 PM, Martin Djernæs wrote:
>> I've been looking quite a bit on how to make xorp version 1.6 "do what
>> I need to do", but one of the things I need to accommodate is the
>> ability to have tunnel interfaces "come and go" while in action.
>>
>> This means that when xorp starts up I can not provide the complete
>> config and/or the underlying interfaces won't exist when it is
>> started.
>>
>> Are there any tool to push interface configuration for PIM-SM into a
>> running xorp?
>
> I put a lot of fixes into my xorp tree to address these issues.

Is yours based on trunk or 1.6? I think it looks like it is based on
trunk .. how stable is this compared to 1.6?

> You can add/delete interfaces via xorpsh, and my xorp also handles
> interfaces disappearing out from under it better.

I've seen at least one problem where pim seems to "hang" very long
when the interface has disappeared underneath it - so this would for
sure be good.

In terms of xorpsh this can not really be used programmatically as far
as I can see - have I misunderstood it. I have tunnels coming and
going and I would need to adjust the multicast/PIM  code to utilize
these so xorop will start to utilize them.

Why are your changes not in the officially xorp three?

Martin