[Xorp-users] Xorp Registering using PIM RP server.

maren bandido at secure.hk.com
Wed Feb 24 13:30:05 PST 2010

Hello,
         I am currently evaluating xorp to receive a multicast on a
server. I need to receive an multicast feed from a network a server is
connected to using PIM SM. I don't need this server to do a further
rooting or offer any Cand RP or anything.

On my side I don't have a Cisco router which I can use to register with
the RP so I am trying to use a Linux box using some PIM SM
implementation to handle all the job by itself.

The machine has 4 ethernet ports. One is connected to a partners
network/router and I can see from having run USC pimd that it is PIM
enabled. Using the application that process the data multicast, I have
been able to join multicast groups but not received any data as USC pimd
does not have any "RP Register functions. I am also running BGP with the
peer router which allows me to see the routing to their RP server.

The RP server needs to receive requests from a network IP block which
has been allocated to me, so a 2nd ethernet port is used for that.

Can xorp do this? I can't see anywhere it can do any RP registration
anywhere.

If I am greatly misunderstanding how pim works I apologise. Prior to 2
days ago I had never seen this protocol.

Regads,
Bob