[Xorp-users] [Xorp-hackers] Fwd: Is there any way you 'r seeing , to get xorp (multicast part) under 6 MB form 10 MB

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Jun 10 13:22:46 PDT 2010

On 06/10/2010 11:27 AM, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 06/10/2010 12:21 AM, saurabh wrote:
>>

>> Dear Ben,BMS,atanu and all core members,
>>
>> First congregates for community version 1.8 of xorp.ct.
>>
>> I have been exploring various ways of getting xorp under 6 MB form 10 MB (of my cutoff version)
>> (likely want 45% of further size reduction), but yield without conclusion.
>>
>> Are you or other core members are seeing any alternate solution to get xorp
>> upto this size ? This is now being barrier for my embedded target. (may many like me facing such situations)
>
> I just fixed optimize=size compile on Fedora 13 (not sure if it worked elsewhere or not).
> Fix has been pushed to xorp.ct on github.

I allowed compiling out some other things, including xorpsh.  No idea if resulting
code functions, but it's a lot smaller:

scons -j4 disable_ipv6=yes disable_fw=yes disable_warninglogs=yes disable_tracelogs=yes disable_fatallogs=yes disable_infologs=yes disable_assertlogs=yes
disable_errorlogs=yes enable_olsr=no enable_bgp=no enable_ospf=no enable_vrrp=no enable_policy=no enable_rip=no optimize=size enable_fea_dummy=no
enable_xorpsh=no disable_profile=yes

[root at grok2 xorp]# du -s /usr/local/xorp
8000	/usr/local/xorp

You can probably get rid of the policy binaries if you are not using
policies, the *shell_funcs.sh and call_xrl in /usr/local/xorp/sbin,
and probably everything in xorp/lib/xorp/bin.

Also the share/xorp/templates/policy.*

That gets you to 7784 KB of disk space.
I think that you might not need any templates at all, which would
bring it down to:  7604 KB.

After this, I'm not so sure.  There's probably some more ipv6
stuff to conditionally compile, and might could compile out
at least much of the policy stuff.

If you try this out, I'm interested to know the results.