[Xorp-users] Is there any ways to start xorp other than using xorp_rtrmgr

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sat Jun 26 14:04:50 PDT 2010

On 06/26/2010 11:27 AM, naresh raga wrote:
> Hi friends,
> I have observed while starting xorp using ./xorp_rtrmgr with a small
> boot file having interfaces and fea enabled is more CPU resource
> intensive.Using top I have observed CPU and memory requirements (peak
> values) as:
> Process %CPU %MEM
> xorp_rtrmgr 6 0.3
> xorp_fea 4 0.2
>
> These values are for xorp-1.7 built with optimization(compiler flags
> used-Os ) and the build size in /usr/local/xorp is around 21MB after
> stripping the binaries.
> My systems had two CPUs each of 3.00GHz and RAM is 1.9GB.So on
> calculating 10% of 6.00GHz=600MHz (nearly) is the CPU needed to start
> xorp with such a small configuration.
> If more modules like rip,bgp,ospf would have been configured,more would
> be the requirement of CPU.I am working to port xorp onto an embedded
> platform(arm-based).So I need ways of starting xorp on less resource
> platform.It seems xorp_rtrmgr is more resource-intensive.Is there any
> ways to start xorp other than using xorp_rtrmgr.
>
> Also If someone has already ported xorp onto an embedded platform,Can
> you suggest the ideal CPU and RAM requirements for XORP to work.

Much of the startup cost is in parsing the template files (last I checked),
and I think that is needed to load the config file properly.  When I was optimizing
xorp.ct some time back, I think I got much of the easy optimizations
completed.  The template parsing logic is based on auto-generated code
that appears very hard to optimize.  It would probably be easier to
completely re-write the parser, perhaps to using some existing framework
to make it easier.

At one time, compiling with profiling was supported, so you might try
that if you want to do further optimizations.  I think the valgrind
toolset also has some tools to aid with optimization which may be better
and/or easier to use, but I haven't used it.

The good news is that after it starts, the CPU usage should go down
to a minimal load.

Hopefully, you will not be starting xorp much.  Also, even if you are running
very slow mzh, it should still work..it will just take a bit longer to get
started.