[Xorp-users] Building Xorp SVN on Linux Debian sparc fails

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sat Mar 6 08:54:55 PST 2010

On 03/06/2010 04:25 AM, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> On 03/06/10 08:14, Ben Greear wrote:
>>
>> Here's a patch against my tree (and will probably apply somewhat clean
>> to official SVN)
>> that might fix your problem.
>
> Yes, there are problems with strong alignment architectures and some
> parts of the XORP code base.
> This has been a known issue for a long time. Only a reasonably clean fix
> will be checked in.
>
> This patch is unlikely to be checked in, as it has a number of style bugs.
> Bounce buffering hacks such as the one this patch uses, are not acceptable.

So, style bugs and a memory copy in handling arp packets is enough to keep
an ancient 'known issue' and a compile failure fix out of the tree?

I mean, look at the current code.  Unless I mis-understand, someone could
send a bogus arp packet with hw-len field set to something large and you
are going to buffer overflow, allowing someone to own a process with root
privileges, or at least crash xorp horribly.