[Xorp-users] Interfaces must be connected to a switch all the time to run xorp?

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Mar 8 06:03:18 PST 2010

On 03/07/2010 10:44 PM, saurabh wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have used eth2 and eth3 on my fedora machine…
>
> I observed that, I can start the xorp router mgt service, successfully
> only when all interfaces configured physically
>
> plugged in to the switch.
>
> If I plugged out the eth2 physically, service xorp “Dies”, by showing
> below kind errors
>
> “Configruation failed: 102 Command failed Cannot start vif eth2:
> underlying vif is not UP”
>
> I know I have not plugged in eth2 when I start this service, But (like
> other software) I also don’t let my xorp
>
> Service to die when there is no cable plugged in to the switch. Showing
> some warning would be fine.
>
> It is would be very great if detects and works normal on plugging of
> eth2 interface.
>
> Can I override such undesirable default behavior? by some “configuration
> options” or “workarounds”.

Can you see if you can reproduce this with my tree?  I often run with ports
un-connected and it seems to work fine.

http://www.candelatech.com/oss/xorp-ct.html

Another possibility is that you are using something like NetworkManager
and it's messing with the interfaces?

Either way, please send me a log if you can reproduce it with my code..I should
be able to fix it.