[Xorp-users] Building Xorp SVN on Linux Debian sparc fail with "cast from 'uint8_t*' to 'ArpHeader*' increases required alignment"

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Mar 9 10:01:25 PST 2010

On 03/09/2010 09:41 AM, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
> 2010/3/6 Jose Manuel dos Santos Calhariz<jose.spam at netvisao.pt>:
>>
>> I am trying to compile Xorp SVN on a sparc machine running Debian.
>> But it fails with:
>
> BTW, It is worth mentioning that we recently uploaded version 1.6-1 to
> Debian. This build failure does not happen only in the Sparc
> architecture, it happens in all other architectures Debian supports.
> The fuild build logs can be found in:
>
> - Armel: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=xorp&ver=1.6-1&arch=armel&stamp=1267677892&file=log
> - hppa: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=xorp&ver=1.6-1&arch=hppa&stamp=1266567644&file=log
> - ia64: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=xorp&ver=1.6-1&arch=ia64&stamp=1267373972&file=log
> - mips: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=xorp&ver=1.6-1&arch=mips&stamp=1267867626&file=log
> - mipsel: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=xorp&ver=1.6-1&arch=mipsel&stamp=1267582500&file=log
> - sparc: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=xorp&ver=1.6-1&arch=sparc&stamp=1266647187&file=log
>
> For reference, we are following this in Debian as bug #540679 "FTBFS:
> error: cast from 'uint8_t*' to 'ArpHeader*' increases required
> alignment of target type", see

That same patch might work against 1.6 w/out too much trouble, but it seems there
are lots of other alignment issues as well, so maybe we should just focus on the
latest code?

Also, I notice you are adding a lot of patches in those build logs.
Are these in SVN yet?  If not, can you post which ones still need to be accepted
(maybe put them in the bug-tracker too).

And, since lots of other architectures fail to compile...are there any of *those* that
I could get an account on to try to fix the compile issues?

We can even set up something horrible like a reverse ssh tunnel if they are all behind
a difficult firewall.

Thanks,
Ben

--