[Xorp-users] Building Xorp SVN on Linux Debian sparc fail with "cast from 'uint8_t*' to 'ArpHeader*' increases required alignment"

Jose Manuel dos Santos Calhariz jose.spam at netvisao.pt
Tue Mar 9 12:43:52 PST 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:01:25AM -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 03/09/2010 09:41 AM, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
> > 2010/3/6 Jose Manuel dos Santos Calhariz<jose.spam at netvisao.pt>:
> >>
> >> I am trying to compile Xorp SVN on a sparc machine running Debian.
> >> But it fails with:
> >
> > BTW, It is worth mentioning that we recently uploaded version 1.6-1 to
> > Debian. This build failure does not happen only in the Sparc
> > architecture, it happens in all other architectures Debian supports.
> > The fuild build logs can be found in:
> >
> > - Armel: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=xorp&ver=1.6-1&arch=armel&stamp=1267677892&file=log
> > - hppa: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=xorp&ver=1.6-1&arch=hppa&stamp=1266567644&file=log
> > - ia64: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=xorp&ver=1.6-1&arch=ia64&stamp=1267373972&file=log
> > - mips: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=xorp&ver=1.6-1&arch=mips&stamp=1267867626&file=log
> > - mipsel: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=xorp&ver=1.6-1&arch=mipsel&stamp=1267582500&file=log
> > - sparc: https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=xorp&ver=1.6-1&arch=sparc&stamp=1266647187&file=log
> >
> > For reference, we are following this in Debian as bug #540679 "FTBFS:
> > error: cast from 'uint8_t*' to 'ArpHeader*' increases required
> > alignment of target type", see
>
> That same patch might work against 1.6 w/out too much trouble, but it seems there
> are lots of other alignment issues as well, so maybe we should just focus on the
> latest code?

Xorp 1.6 seams to have only two issues during compile time, on a sparc
machine.  In the files:

 - libproto/packet.cc
 - vrrp/vrrp_packet.cc

And I have used horrible workarounds, that possibly break at run-time.
Not a complete fix like the one you gave to me for libproto/packet.cc.

For what I have seen I am affraid that the code from SVN have more
than two issues during compile time.

> Also, I notice you are adding a lot of patches in those build logs.
> Are these in SVN yet?  If not, can you post which ones still need to be accepted
> (maybe put them in the bug-tracker too).

Most of the patchs are to the old build system with makefiles.  But yes,
there will be bugs reports with the patches.

The page with the lastest package and source code is:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/xorp

The tar.gz file is the pristine code from xorp.org, the diff.gz file
is a big patch with all the files required for building the xorp
package for Debian.

This a litle offtopic.  I can give more help, if someone needs.

> And, since lots of other architectures fail to compile...are there any of *those* that
> I could get an account on to try to fix the compile issues?
>
> We can even set up something horrible like a reverse ssh tunnel if they are all behind
> a difficult firewall.

I don't promise anything, but I am working in a solution.  The NAT
firewall is not the only problem.  I only work on xorp issues during
my free time.

> Thanks,
> Ben

      Jose Calhariz

Posso imaginar muitas coisas mais importantes que ser amado por todo mundo

--Robert Murdoch