[Xorp-users] Building Xorp SVN on Linux Debian sparc fail with "cast from 'uint8_t*' to 'ArpHeader*' increases required alignment"

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Mar 11 16:05:22 PST 2010

On 03/11/2010 06:50 AM, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
> 2010/3/9 Ben Greear<greearb at candelatech.com>:
>
>> Also, I notice you are adding a lot of patches in those build logs.
>> Are these in SVN yet?  If not, can you post which ones still need to be
>> accepted (maybe put them in the bug-tracker too).
>
> Yes, we have to clean out the existing patches and submit them
> upstream (to the bug-tracker) to get them in the code.
>
>> And, since lots of other architectures fail to compile...are there any of
>> *those* that
>> I could get an account on to try to fix the compile issues?
>
> Unfortunately not, those machines are (for security reasons) only
> accessible directly by Debian developers and we cannot grant access to
> others to them. You can use me as a "proxy" for your tests although I
> understand that is difficult and makes it more difficult to fix these
> issues.

I got it compiling on Sparc-Gentoo.

Could you pull my xorp.ct tree and see if it compiles for you now?

I changed some detection logic, so probably should rm -fr obj to make
sure it does a full rebuild.

Several small patches, but basically:

*  Disable -Werror flag for non x86 platforms.
*  Proper detection of pcap libraries (don't link against it if it doesn't exist)
*  Add detection for pcap-bpf.h, use #ifdef magic to work properly either way.
*  Use the 'copy' logic in AlignData class on non x86.  Doesn't fix any compile
    warnings that I noticed, but it does make it more correct I think.

I tried just using #pragma to disable Walign-cast in individual files,
but couldn't get that to work.

Long term, it seems like we should probably get rid of AlignData
since even the comments in the code make it sound broken.