[Xorp-users] Reducing Xorp binary setup size ?

saurabh saurabh.pandya at elitecore.com
Mon Mar 15 05:41:40 PDT 2010

Thanks Ben for illustrative msg...

Well I compile and installed code git, from your tree on
my fedora-6 machine with "scons" and "scons install"

It generates total un-stripped size 198 MB, and stripped size 39 MB
(not 18 MB) in /usr/local/xorp binary directory.

I am using gcc 4.1.1 version on fedora-6. Some additional configuration
Or patch you made for size reduction?

Un-stripped total package inside /usr/local/xorp
  (after socns and scons install)

[root at localhost xorp]# pwd
/usr/local/xorp

[root at localhost xorp]# ls
lib  sbin  share

[root at localhost xorp]# du -m   (Show size of each sub dir in MB)
152     ./lib/xorp/lib
8       ./lib/xorp/bin
25      ./lib/xorp/sbin
183     ./lib/xorp
183     ./lib
1       ./share/xorp/templates
1       ./share/xorp
1       ./share
16      ./sbin
198     .

After  strip -s <all binaries , and all shared libraries inside lib/xorp/>

[root at localhost xorp]# du -m
34      ./lib/xorp/lib
1       ./lib/xorp/bin
3       ./lib/xorp/sbin