[Xorp-users] Fix for problem with Xorp on older kernels without IFLA_IFNAME in netlink msg.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Mar 18 12:28:34 PDT 2010

On 03/18/2010 01:52 AM, saurabh wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I doubt that I must missing something , to check what I get your
> Latest git. And build it with regular scons (without disabling anything)
> Then I installed by ./lf_pkg.bash .. and then run
>           ./xorp_rtrmgr -b<myconfig_that_i_sent_to_you>  as root.
>
> Same below errors I found with this full build... those I found with
> disable_XYZ build. Below are errors snaps full log I attached.

> 2010/03/18 04:56:44.278677  ERROR xorp_fea:19179 FEA
> fea/data_plane/ifconfig/ifconfig_set.cc:661 push_vif_address ] Failed to
> configure address because of device not found:
> IfConfigSetNetlinkSocket::add_addr: check_nl_req: Cannot add address

Thanks for the bug reports on this.  I was able to reproduce this on FC5
and fix the problem.

The root cause is that older kernels (2.6.18 in my case), did not
include IFLA_IFNAME in the netlink messages, and the fea code was
not attempting to correct for this.

I added code to look up the name by ifindex (which is provided)
in this case and now everything seems to work.

Please pull the latest xorp.ct and see if it works for you.

This would have affected anyone running xorp on older kernels,
and I think the bug is in SVN code too, so for all of you
on older kernels, you might want to give this a try as well.