[Xorp-users] OSPF Hello messages not exchanged after some period, and link status becomes dead

Dejan Petkovic dexpetkovic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 00:41:36 PDT 2010

Hello,

I am running multiple XORP OSPF routers on OpenVZ virtual machines.
When I start the xorp routers on all virtual machines, the links go up
and OSPF adjacencies are established. However, after some time, both
parameters Pri and Dead in the show ospf4 neighbor command output give
value 0, and the link status is down.

I have set on host and virtual machines forwarding and proxy_arp
settings to 1. I have set that hello interval is 10 seconds, and that
router dead interval is 200 seconds.

When I restart the xorp instances running on virtual machines, the
adjacencies are again established and the routers can ping each other.
I suspect the arp issue here, as the arp table of the nodes on which
the XORP is running becomes empty at the moment when hello messages
stop to arrive to the appropriate xorp routers. However, if it was an
arp issue, xorp restart shouldn't affect the behavior?

The sample configuration of two adjacent routers is pasted below. Only
IPs would differ. Where am I making a mistake? Perhaps I have not
configured correctly the link between these two routers (Please
neglect the fact that I used C class there)?

Thank you for the help,
Dejan

**************************************
/*XORP Configuration File, v1.0*/
protocols {
   ospf4 {
       router-id: 79.0.0.1
       rfc1583-compatibility: false
       ip-router-alert: false
       area 0.0.0.0 {
           area-type: "normal"
           interface eth0 {
               link-type: "broadcast"
               vif eth0 {
                   address 79.0.0.1 {
                       priority: 128
                       hello-interval: 10
                       router-dead-interval: 200
                       interface-cost: 1
                       retransmit-interval: 5
                       transit-delay: 1
                       disable: false
                   }
               }
           }
           interface eth1 {
               link-type: "broadcast"
               vif eth1 {
                   address 79.10.0.1 {
                       priority: 128
                       hello-interval: 10
                       router-dead-interval: 200
                       interface-cost: 1
                       retransmit-interval: 5
                       transit-delay: 1
                       disable: false
                   }
               }
           }
       }
   }
}
fea {
   unicast-forwarding4 {
       disable: false
   }
}
interfaces {
   restore-original-config-on-shutdown: false
   interface eth0 {
       disable: false
       discard: false
       unreachable: false