[Xorp-users] xorp1.6 fails to run on Debian Etch 2.6.18-5-486

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu May 6 07:59:43 PDT 2010

On 05/06/2010 12:17 AM, AWalton wrote:
> Hi Ben,
> I can in fact help here, as it is simple for me to re-produce, however
> getting logs from my xorp1.4 install is not easy. It never worked. In
> fact I have tried repeatedly to get logging working but each time it
> would start logging and then stop suddenly never to resume.
>
> So here's a few questions:
> What is xorp.ct?
> What do I need to do to get logging working correctly on 1.4
> This bug crashes my network, so I will need to do this in the early
> hours of the morning otherwise I will upset my customers, so we need to
> get this right first time.
>
> Please help me to help you.
>
> BTW, why the lack of interest in 1.6. Is there some major change that
> has occurred architecturally. Are you telling me that xorp1.6 is on a
> different code tree? Why are you wishing to bug fix the old release?

As you noticed, xorp.ct is newer than 1.7 even..contains lots of my fixes
especially related to virtualization and bugs I found while implementing
our network emulator and virtual router system.

I know my code pretty well, can test it, and feel comfortable debugging it.

I don't have nearly that confidence on older xorp code, which is the main
reason why I don't offer to debug or fix it.