[Xorp-users] xorp1.6 fails to run on Debian Etch 2.6.18-5-486

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu May 6 11:45:02 PDT 2010

On 05/06/2010 11:33 AM, AWalton wrote:
> Actually that's just what I was thinking of doing. I have a dual core
> machine that is what I am using right now. I just compiled 1.6 on it in
> under 15mins. So I was going to try lifting the drive out of the VIA
> board. Its actually a 2Gb flash IDE disc and loading it up on the dual
> core machine.
>
> Trouble is you never know quite what will happen.
>
> The underlying distribution is Debian etch as I said.
>
> What I really want to know, is how I can do the compile on the dual core
> machine but using the kernel headers etc and build environment to match
> the VIA. Which is a 486 kernel.

copy the CF image using dd onto a new CF disk..then boot your dual-core
from usb -> CF adapter

Or, dd the CF image directly onto a hard-drive and boot the HD.

Or get an IDE <-> CF adapter and boot a copy of the CF image that way.

Hard to say which would be easier...but in the end, you should be able to
get the exact image running on your dual-core (perhaps using a single core,
but still much faster).

The kernel headers shouldn't care what CPU they are compiled for or running
on, so I don't think that will be a problem.