[Xorp-users] xorp1.6 fails to run on Debian Etch 2.6.18-5-486

Aidan awalton at wires3.net
Thu May 13 12:51:08 PDT 2010

Sorry Ben
Work has been getting in the way time wise... I have been struggling
actually, sorry to say its all rather basic stuff. I'm no expert like
you guys and so even the most basic tasks can burn hours. I have been
trying to get a dd generated image of the actual live router up on
running on a partition on my dual core machine, so that I could compile
on this. I finally managed this but the strangest thing.... I cant
login? Weird. I boot of the partition containing the image and sure
enough the kernel loads the system comes up, I watch the drivers load
and all the associated errors of course as the hardware set-up is
totally different, but finally when I get to a login prompt. I cant login,

As soon as I enter 'root' as a username and hit return, I get 5 repeated
login failures and I'm back where I started being asked for a username.
I don't even get prompted for a password. So I can not even login to the
system to even try and compile. So that was the weekend gone.

Anyway I have been reading your comments regarding xorp.ct. I think it
makes sense if I try this. The question I have now is just how much do I
care which kernel is running on the machine I use to compile xorp?  I
think you mentioned something about Xorp not needing the kernel headers?

So if I compile Xorp on a Lenny distribution (2.6.26) will I be able to
take the binaries and run them on the system with 2.6.18? What
dependencies are there on the final resultant binaries and the system on
which they are intended to run?

Whichever way you advise I think I will attempt to compile xorp.ct as
you suggested. There is definitely a problem with xorp1.4 as I was
forced to downgrade the code running on the routerOS board and as soon
as I did this Xorp stopped crashing so it's repeatable. I have no doubt
you would all like to know what is happening.
Weekend is almost upon us so time again soon, just need to fly back into
the UK first. I'm stuck in Athens at the moment.
Thanks
Aidan