[Xorp-users] Problem adding routes to custom devices

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed May 19 11:16:35 PDT 2010

On 05/19/2010 10:57 AM, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Hello Xorpies (Xorpers?),
>
> I'm having a problem that I have narrowed down to a bug either in XORP
> or in some custom software we have.
>
> Our custom software creates a special kind of networking device, similar
> in concept to a tun device. (The device allows us to do things like
> packet delay/jitter/etc. mangling, while being in-kernel for fast speeds.)
>
> I have two configurations for XORP that are identical with the one
> difference being the device name. In the working configuration the
> device is named eth0.701; in the non-working configuration the device is
> named something similar to abcd0.

It could indeed be a bug.  You might try poking around in
the fea logic, adding debugging statements and such to see
if you can figure out what is happening.

If you can get a reproducible test case that uses standard
linux kernels and no special software harness, I'll see
if I notice anything.

Also, any errors of note in the xorp logs?