[Xorp-users] a certain type of tunneling with xorp- is it possible

Tzury Bar Yochay tzury.by at gmail.com
Fri May 21 09:51:50 PDT 2010

dears, I wonder if the following feature is available with xorp ---
I need to be able to transform a multicast packet into a unicast one owe to
network lack of support for multicast (satellite).
That is, I have a network service which uses multicast, and when installing
it on a remote site (lan) which connected to satellite, I must convert those
packets before sending them on the air.

For instance, say I have a packet that its destination is 230.0.0.3, I'd
like to turn it into a unicast packet per destination, that is, if
destinations are 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 I'd like the router to re-generate
two packets each with the appropriate destination - needles to say, MAC
address also should be transformed accordingly.
In an optimal case, those destinations are to be "learned" by the router,
however, if not possible I would set them all manually before-head.

thanks in advance,

/ Tzury bar Yochay (@tzury)