[Xorp-users] a certain type of tunneling with xorp- is it possible

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri May 21 10:42:40 PDT 2010

On 05/21/2010 09:51 AM, Tzury Bar Yochay wrote:
> dears, I wonder if the following feature is available with xorp ---
> I need to be able to transform a multicast packet into a unicast one owe
> to network lack of support for multicast (satellite).
> That is, I have a network service which uses multicast, and when
> installing it on a remote site (lan) which connected to satellite, I
> must convert those packets before sending them on the air.
>
> For instance, say I have a packet that its destination is 230.0.0.3, I'd
> like to turn it into a unicast packet per destination, that is, if
> destinations are 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 I'd like the router to
> re-generate two packets each with the appropriate destination - needles
> to say, MAC address also should be transformed accordingly.
> In an optimal case, those destinations are to be "learned" by the
> router, however, if not possible I would set them all manually before-head.

It sounds to me like you would probably have to write a stand-alone application
that joined the multicast and made a normal tcp or udp unicast connection to your
unicast target(s), and bridged the packets in software.

It probably wouldn't be hard to do that translation like that.

I don't think it would be easy to add that functionality directly
into xorp though.