[Xorp-users] Xorp 1.6 LiveCD fails to run RIP

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue May 25 13:14:43 PDT 2010

On 05/24/2010 07:18 PM, Loren M. Lang wrote:
> I am using the Xorp 1.6 LiveCD inside VirtualBox 3.1.8 to test out some network configurations using both RIP and OSPF.  I have successfully gotten OSPF to peer with other routers running Quagga, but I cannot seem to make Xorp use RIP.  I am running other routers with RIPv2 multicast and no authentication.  When I startup a fresh Xorp router with the following configuration, I see zero RIP traffic coming from the Xorp router.  When I first commit the changes, all I see is an IGMP join to group 224.0.0.9 followed by an IGMP leave from group 224.0.0.9.  show rip peers shows no peers, however, other Quagga RIPv2 routers have no trouble seeing each other.

Can you try our live-cd with xorp.ct on it?  Just ignore the LANforge stuff
(it won't be running by default) and use the xorp installed in /usr/local/xorp

http://www.candelatech.com/private/downloads/r5.1.5/Ubuntu-Live-9.10-LANforge.iso

(user:  guest, password: guest)

If it doesn't work with adding the rip config dynamically, try starting xorp
with the RIP config already in the config file.  I'm curious to know how it
works if you try this.