[Xorp-users] Multicast address with reserved field set to zero

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Nov 3 20:45:52 PDT 2010

On 11/03/2010 08:15 PM, Yen Wen wrote:
> Hi all,
> Recently I am trying to do a ipv6 Multicast Routing test which I get into trouble in.
> Any guidance and hints are precious for me and I will be appreciated.
>
> I'm trying to run XORP-1.5 in a multicast scenario using Ubuntu 9.04. (Rebuild kernel to linux-2.6.29)
> Previously, I used xorp in a basic multicast topology and all was fine. (TN1->RUT->TN2)
> Now I want to test TN2's multicast address with reserved field set to zero and the RUT must not forward multicast packets to TN2.

I know the latest xorp.ct and kernel 2.6.34+ can work with IPv6 multicast, but there may still be issues
we haven't found, and I don't think we've tested your scenario.

If you do fix it, please post a patch and I'll try to integrate it into xorp.ct.

Or, it may be a kernel bug, in which case you might try 2.6.36 kernel
and hope someone has fixed it (I'd be interested to see any kernel patch you
might come up with as well..)