[Xorp-users] PIM-SM not forwarding multicast traffic

swdickey at rockwellcollins.com swdickey at rockwellcollins.com
Fri Aug 19 06:52:58 PDT 2011

Thanks Ben.  Wireshark showed a TTL of 1 which is the default multicast
datagram TTL.  My test program I needed the lines:

u_char ttl 64;
setsockopt(sd, IPPROTO_IP, IP_MULTICAST_TTL, &ttl, sizeof(ttl) < 0);

S. Dickey

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>
18/08/2011 02:25 PM

swdickey at rockwellcollins.com
cc
xorp-users at xorp.org
Subject
Re: [Xorp-users] PIM-SM not forwarding multicast traffic

running XORP <eth0 10.10.40.2 ------------ eth1 10.10.40.3> Fedora14_C

> I am trying to send multicast traffic from A to C via multicast
forwarding through B. I have a test program (which I can post if needed)
that will send UDP
> datagram messages from A to 224.1.1.1. B will receive these messages,
but will not forward them to C. Alternately, if I try sending the
multicast messages from
> B, C will then receive them- indicating that C is properly subscribed to
the IGMP group and is correctly configured. Also, Unicast traffic (pings)
is being
> forwarded by B (XORP enabling ip_forward) as there are static routes
setup on B.

Can you sniff to make doubly sure that you have TTl > 3 or so?

If unsure, post a small pcap capture file on the sending machine.